Fashion bloggers and glossy magazines are everywhere screaming about different methods of weight loss: gluten-free diet, Kremlin, fresh juices, blood type, and hundreds of others. You can argue as much as you like about the effectiveness of each of the methods, but what's the point if the main question of women still remains "how to lose weight? "Diets often have negative associations, as they imply restrictions and discomfort, but ketogenic nutrition is difficult to attribute to them. The keto diet is a diet high in fat and protein and minimal in carbohydrates.
How does it work?
Our body is designed in such a way that it receives energy for its work from carbohydrates (glucose). An alternative source of energy is the breakdown of fats, or rather the so-called ketone bodies. When blood glucose is low (without carbohydrates, this is inevitable), fat reserves are used. By absorbing them as fuel for the body and brain, extra centimeters begin to leave.
Accordingly, the goal of a diet is to induce a metabolic state in which the amount of carbohydrates in the diet is reduced to a minimum and the amount of fat consumed is maximized.
Remember that any diet is stressful for the body and body. When choosing a way to lose weight, try to correctly assess your health and fitness.
In 2016, the results of a study were published in which scientists and medical professionals studied the effects of a low-carb diet on the body and risk factors for cardiovascular disease. It was concluded that subjects on the low-carb diet lost significantly more weight than those who continued to consume carbs. The second side of the coin was that weight loss was associated with increased cholesterol, which is not good for health.
Today, there are a large number of techniques aimed at reducing one of the indicators of the BJU. The leader of the past few years can be called the Ducan diet - a protein nutritional system consisting of four stages. Which of the ways to prefer is up to you.
What is ketosis?
This is a state of the body when ketone bodies or ketones become the main source of energy. In order for the body to start working in this mode, it is required to observe carbohydrate fasting for 3-4 days, and then proceed to one of the suitable types of keto diet.
Types of Keto Diets
Classic.This is a low-carb and high-fat diet. Actually, the whole article is devoted precisely to its classical version, in which the ideal ratio of BJU is: 75% fat, 20% protein and 5% carbohydrates.
Cyclic Keto Diet. In this case, it means the alternation of 5 days with strict adherence to the diet and 2 days of the so-called "cheat meal", when the consumption of 400-500 g of carbohydrates per day is allowed, which allows replenishing glycogen stores.
This option is most often used before or during increased and intense sports loads. This way of eating helps to speed up the metabolism, burn fat and gain lean muscle mass. Many nutritionists insist that the correct diet should be balanced, therefore, of the listed diet options, they prefer this one.
Targeted Keto Diet.Suitable for professional athletes, most often used by bodybuilders. In this case, it is allowed to consume carbohydrates an hour and a half before the start of the workout. This type of ketogenic diet allows you to replenish glycogen stores so as not to drive yourself to exhaustion, and at the same time not get out of ketosis.
Positive and negative aspects of the keto diet
- With a ketogenic diet, there is no dramatic change in nutrition and an artificial reduction in calories, which usually lead to the fact that after losing weight, weight returns, and sometimes even increases.
- As a rule, the feeling of hunger goes away and stamina increases.
- The keto diet can help you lose weight quickly. That is why it is often used by public people to prepare themselves for urgent filming or significant events.
- Low-carb diets are often preferred by people with insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome because they see excellent results and resolution of chronic disease. Lowering carbs to ketogenic levels of 25-50 grams per day helps keep insulin levels down and normal.
- The keto diet has also been recommended as a drug-free treatment for difficult-to-control childhood epilepsy. This is evidenced by research in 2016.
- It may be beneficial for losing excess fat and improving general condition for people with type 2 diabetes. This was reflected in a foreign study in 2018, in which 2. 5 thousand people took part. Some of the subjects had a diet low in carbohydrates, while others ate in a more balanced way. The main focus of the study was glycemic control. Through systematic observations, analyzes and comparisons, scientists have come to the conclusion that the keto diet has a beneficial effect on the body and can be used as part of an individual treatment plan, under the supervision of a doctor.
- The most common side effects are constipation, mildly low blood sugar, or upset stomach.
- Less commonly, low-carb diets can lead to kidney stones or high levels of acid in the body (acidosis).
- Other side effects may include the "keto flu, " which includes headaches, chills, occasional fever, weakness, irritability, and bad breath.
- When your body burns fat stores, it puts a strain on the kidneys and also raises blood ammonia levels.
- Poor diet and lack of balance. As carbohydrate intake is minimized, significant restrictions on food intake appear.
- Many people note that at first there is a general weakness of the body, lethargy and drowsiness.
- Ketone bodies are quite toxic to the body, so it is important not to tempt fate on your own and seek professional advice from a nutritionist or doctor who will observe you during your weight loss.
Who Should Avoid The Keto Diet?
- People with liver and kidney diseases, high cholesterol, and metabolic disorders.
- Diabetics are advised to experiment with nutrition only under the supervision of a physician.
- Pregnant and breastfeeding women.
What to eat and drink on a keto diet? What foods can you eat?
Unprocessedmeat, that is, without the processes of salting, preservation, smoking, etc. Pork, lamb, beef, duck, fatty parts of chicken and turkey, bacon and lard are suitable. Refrain from sausages and sausages.
Fish and Seafood. Salmon, salmon, saury, sardines, mackerel, herring and any seafood are great. Avoid breading in cooking, as it contains carbohydrates.
Eggs. Eat in any form: boiled, stuffed, fried in butter, scrambled eggs, etc.
Vegetables growing above the ground. Favorites include cauliflower, cucumber, asparagus, avocado, broccoli, spinach, green beans, and zucchini. Say goodbye to root vegetables: potatoes, beets, onions, carrots, celery root, etc. Use olive oil or butter for cooking.
Dairy products: cottage cheese, butter, cheese, cream, sour cream. The main condition is that they must be bold.
Nuts. Good for a snack other than cashews. It is better to exclude this type due to its high carbohydrate content.
Oils and fats.If we talk about vegetable oils, then give preference to olive. Coconut is also very popular, which can significantly diversify the taste palette of food.
What to drink?
During the keto diet, it is important to drink plenty of water, water helps to get rid of toxins in the body.
A 2015 study found that replacing diet drinks with water after a main meal can lead to greater weight loss and also improve insulin resistance.
Eliminate all sodas and juices, energy drinks and smoothies, and beer.
What to drink besides water? Coffee and tea without sweeteners, and wine is the least harmful in terms of carbohydrate content.
What foods to avoid?
First of all, you will have to gather all your will into a fist and give up what you most often pull: sweets, candies, cakes, cookies, chocolate bars, donuts and breakfast cereals. Sugar-free diets have long been popular among women around the world, and they eliminate simple carbohydrates and refined sweeteners, which helps to reduce the risk of heart disease.
Starchy foods: bread, pasta, rice, corn, potatoes, peas, chips, cereals, muesli and so on. If you see the word "whole grain", put the item back on the shelf.
Legumes, avoid beans and lentils first.
Try not to drink milk and say goodbye to latte (contains 18 grams of carbohydrates), avoid low-fat yogurt.
For fruits and berries, the best choices are raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, watermelons and melons. Bananas, grapes, mangoes, pears, apples and kiwis can spoil carbohydrate statistics.
One smart person said that "losing weight without limiting food is the same as conquering laziness without getting up from the couch. "Expect to work hard and change your eating habits.
An example of a keto menu for a week
To diversify your diet and achieve your goals, you will have to love cooking. What can be the food during the week?
- Breakfast: scrambled eggs with ham, cheese and spinach.
- Lunch: chicken broth and vegetable salad dressed with natural mayonnaise.
- Dinner: baked fish with vegetables (green beans and greens) and brown rice.
- Breakfast: omelet with grated cheese and steamed fish cakes.
- Lunch: tuna salad with avocado and lettuce mix, seasoned with olive oil or natural mayonnaise.
- Dinner: vegetable stew with meat.
- Breakfast: boiled eggs and toast with cream cheese and avocado.
- Lunch: meat borscht.
- Dinner: seafood salad and cauliflower pancakes.
- Breakfast: 2 eggs and asparagus fried in butter.
- Lunch: puree soup and vegetable salad.
- Dinner: Mushroom Casserole.
- Breakfast: smoked salmon and avocado sandwich.
- Lunch: fish soup.
- Dinner: frittata with fresh spinach.
- Breakfast: scrambled eggs with mushrooms and cheese.
- Lunch: boiled chicken with hummus and lettuce.
- Dinner: cabbage salad and baked turkey with creamy cheese sauce.
- Breakfast: mushroom casserole.
- Lunch: chicken soup.
- Dinner: chop with avocado and green beans fried in butter.
Conclusion: how many people, so many methods of losing weight. A ketogenic diet is a short-term diet that focuses on weight loss rather than health benefits. The results of clinical studies examining the effect of ketogenic diets are controversial, so it should be practiced for no more than a few months and under the supervision of a doctor.